- Ideally, plays submitted to our contest will be between 7 and 10 pages, with a running time of 8 (minimum) to 11 (maximum) minutes. (note: This does not include character list, character descriptions, or detailed scenic descriptions at the beginning of the play. Those may be submitted on a separate page.) Please time your plays before submitting. Plays that fall short or long of our staging time will be disqualified.
- There is a $12 submission fee for each play. Plays should be submitted electronically to this email address, while submission fees should be sent to Theatrikos Theater Company, 11 W. Cherry, Flagstaff, AZ 86001. Please identify your fee as a NAPS entry fee. Please make the check payable to: Theatrikos Theatre Company. Please don’t send a paper copy of your play to the theater.
- Plays should be written for no more than 3 actors. Co-authored plays are acceptable. Multiple submissions are also acceptable.
- Entries may not have been a previous contest winner on any stage; entries may not have been performed for a paying audience. Plays may have been workshopped in venues where donations are accepted.
- Please format your play according to standards of writing for the stage. Each character’s dialogue is normally single-spaced, with double-spacing between character lines. Use 12-point font. Send your contact information (name, email address, and the state in which you reside) separately from your play. Your play should be submitted as a PDF file. Our panel of judges will read anonymous scripts, so your name should not appear on the play.
- The high school competition is open to playwrights from 8th through 12th grades. Students submitting to the contest should note that they’re submitting for the high school competition. The submission fee is waived for this category.
- Winning plays will receive a staged reading, but we cannot accommodate elaborate props, so the artistry should reside in the dialogue and action, not the staging. Plays should be received no later than 5 p.m., July 1, 2017. Plays should be e-mailed to northernazplaywriting@gmail .com
- Quality of Plot/Story: Is the play conceptually or thematically interesting and well conceived? Does it start and end strong? Does it sustain in the middle?
- Quality of Characters: All of the characters should be interesting and give actors plenty of “meat” to sink their teeth into — no unnecessary or underdeveloped characters.
- Strength of the Dialogue: It’s important that the action is clear and purposeful and helps drive the story in a naturalistic way, even if the play is conceptual.
- Strength of the Action: It’s important that the action is clear and purposeful and helps drive the story.
- Tone and Effect: Is the tone consistent and appropriate? If it’s a comedy, are there genuine laughs? If it is a drama, does it have emotional impact?
Plays will be judged anonymously. Please submit your play with just the title but no author identification on the title page. Submit your contact information in a separate document. For contact information include the title of your play, your name, your state of residence, a phone #, and an e-mail address. Winners will be notified via e-mail and posted on the NAPS website.